Sunday, January 1, 2012

Death trap(stairway) CLEAR

For those of you with the nostalgic ideas about stairways, let me tell you about mine. There are "count em'"13 steps to get to the upstairs. Not counting the 4 more if you are in the "pit".  That was romantically called a sunken living room in the 70's. In the 80's the stairway was a showcase for baskets and cute stuffed bears. Lots of dust in the 80's. Then it became a way to avoid taking something up stairs till later. I even have a step basket to use for that very purpose. Then at bedtime, who has the energy to take stuff upstairs and put it away then? It slowly turned into temporary storage for shoes out of season, shoes I only wear for dress up, the jewelry and bra I take off right after work, a magazine I want to read in bed, and my broken red purse, which by the way was the last thing I put away yesterday. (more on that later). Then comes a grandchild. Kids love stairs, they climb them, play on them, they fall down them, make a hideout of them, and also an office and a place where Memphis decided he wanted to keep his 'portant' papers and a Hebrew Bible, which he reads frequently, either upside down or right side up. He is five so it doesn't really matter. If I would dare to move said papers or book while he is gone it is a serious crime. Things are to be exactly where he leaves them until his return.
Yesterday, I put the last item from my stairs away. The broken red purse. Yes, I took it upstairs. It is still good except for the strap on 1 side. It could be repaired, it is small and handy for a trip, Memphis loves it, because I would let him play bank with it. But is this the way hoarders get started? There is a fine line between those who hoard and those who are just industrious enough to find a use for everything. Recycle, upcycle, throw it out, reclaim it, give it away, clear the clutter. The artist in me says find a use for it, the Great Aunt Dillie in me says you might need it someday, the practical person in me says get it repaired and then give it away, and the organizational gurus say pitch it and don't look back.
For the new year the magazine racks will be full today of headlines for organizing, clearing clutter, living simply right beside the pictures of houses made of trash and covered with stucco, reclaimed wood and upcycled sweaters made in to coats and skirts.
I guess it is like the Bible says" moderation in all things." From the T-totaler to the drunk there is a happy medium we must all find. Or you may one day be found buried under a pile of magazines, clothes, and a red purse that you MIGHT use someday.
Oh yes, and have a Moderately Happy New Year.



1 comment: